Tuesday, July 26, 2011

India: The first 24 hours

We made it.  16+ hours on a plane, but we are here.  We arrived at our apartment about 9pm and marveled at how big this place it.  (Pictures tomorrow)

Becky, being Becky, started unpacking in the van between the airport and our apartment.  I like to take a little more deliberate approach.  I am finding however, that the deliberateness of a husband is greatly influenced by the will of his spouse.  I am happy to report that as of now, less than 24 hours of being in country, all of my bags are completely unpacked. Thank you Becky!

We tried to get some sleep around midnight, but that only lasted until about 4am when we both realized we were awake.  I told Becky about a nightmare I had...I dreamed that we had three sets of identical twins, one set were girls, and in my dream, I couldn't remember the first three years of their lives.  I felt like Harrison Ford in regarding Henry.  At one point in the dream, I was weeping while Becky told me, "Do you know how many people have been in this situation before us?"  Thanks Dream Becky for the words of encouragement!

After getting that off my chest, I went back to sleep whilst Becky laid restlessly next to me. She got up to workout while I mounted an offensive on my jet-lag.

At 7:45, we got picked up and headed to the school for our first day of 'work'. We started with an awesome breakfast at our Director's house.  The energy in the room was wonderful and we can already tell that the community at AES is going to be fantastic.

After breakfast, we had a few meetings.  One to get laptops and a tech introduction.  Then on to our section meetings.  I went with middle school while Becky headed off with the high school.  It is almost hard to contain our giddiness when we talk to each other about work. It is that good.

After lunch, we walked around the campus for a bit.  The campus has an incredibly natural feel.  The buildings really blend with the landscape.  It is a gorgeous school.

To finish off the day, we went on a shopping tour to Khan Market. Of course, it is monsoon season in Delhi, so the skies opened up as we arrived.  First stop, get an umbrella.  The rain made things considerably more difficult, but we grabbed a few needed items and returned home.

Some initial thoughts:

Delhi has a lot of green space.  We have a park across the street from our apartment and there is a huge park area just down the road from us.
The park view from our balcony.
The holy cows are definitely out and about.  I went onto our balcony to take a picture of the park across the street when I saw this guy.


Our school is awesome.  Our fridge was stocked with brownies, lasagna and beer (among other things).
Very nice to walk into the apartment and find some food.
That is all for now.  We will post some apartment pictures tomorrow and hopefully share a few funny stories and less boring blog summaries.

Love,

iBeck

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! Can't wait for more pics. Sorry I didn't get to chat more yesterday Becky, I actually had some work/mtgs!! love lots, miss you guys already!
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete