Monday, May 30, 2011

Wai We'll Miss Thailand

This is our last week in Thailand, and that means that this is a time of reflection for us.  Thailand has been my home for the last two years and Becky's for the last three.  This is where we started our lives together, so it will always have a special place in our hearts.  Here are some of the things we will miss.


The Wai

Everyone knows that the eastern equivalent of the handshake is the bow.  This is true in Thailand, but with a very cool twist.  Thai's wai as a sign of respect, the higher the hands, the more respect.

SAT analagy - Handshake : Bow :: Hug : Wai

Corn Ice-Cream! Yum.

Thai Food

Kra Pow Gai, Lap Moo, Yam Moo Yang, Gai Pad Med Mamuang (cashew chicken), Som Tam, Morning Glory, Gang Kia Wan (green curry), Moo Yang and so many more.  Not to mention great mangos, lychee, dragonfruit, longan, and mangosteen.




Thai Massage

When and hour massage costs between $7 and $15, you make sure to get one weekly.  Massage is, of course, available in India, but it will probably be more expensive and probably not a good.  I guess we will have to take up yoga.


This picture is from Justin Strickland's visit earlier this year.  We are getting some good 'ol fashioned foot massages.



Golf and Caddies

There are a plethora of reasons to love golfing in Thailand: it's year-round, interesting animals like monkeys and cobras greet you on the course, you get the country club treatment every time you go (I especially enjoy showering after 18 holes for some reason now).  But my favorite piece is the caddies.  She will give you putting advice and then accept your admonishing when it's wrong or scold you if you decline and miss.  She holds your beverage of choice while you hit.  She marks and cleans your ball after every putt (like that really helps me). She looks for your ball in the trees and often finds it.  Sure, I've had some atrocious caddies, but that just makes the banter with your golf buddies that much more interesting.

Beaches

Thailand is voted as having some of the worlds best beaches for good reason.  We will miss being able to leave work at three-o-clock on a Friday and drinking a Singha on the beach by six.

Softball

Jakarta Bangkok Team
I wrote about the greatest comeback in sports history in a blog last month. (Miami and Dallas had some nice comebacks earlier this month too, but those were not for a championship).  Because of that and many other reasons, I will miss the BISL (Bangkok International Softball League).  I will miss my friends and teammates.  I was just getting to know some of the guys from other teams thanks to being able to join them in Jakarta last weekend for an international tournament.  (We took 4th, after getting hosed in the semi-final game).

Sabai Sabai and Mai Pen Rai

OK, so I won't miss this one all that much.  Sabai Sabai basically means relax and Mai Pen Rai, no worries.  Thailand is very chill and that permeates throughout pretty much every aspect of the culture.  You should NOT be in a hurry in Thailand, and if you are, prepare to be frustrated.  That being said, it is a great attitude for vacation!

Friends

The hardest part of living overseas is that people move.  There is constant change and just when you've made a lifelong friend, one of you decides it's time for a change.



Becky's blurb about friends: 

Sorry, I just wanted an excuse to word "blurb". It sounds gross! All kidding aside, it has been so great to meet such wonderful friends here in Thailand and it's always hard to say goodbye to people that you've grown close to.......physically!  ;)  Just kidding, although Erin and I did share a bed several times.  Thanks for being big spoon Erin!  You make me feel so safe!  There's something special about people who understand how rediculous living overseas is and who also speak English! I will miss all of my "Thai" friends very much and This is a tribute to them!



Thanks for picking a picture where I look obese honey! 

Everyone looks cooler in a cowboy hat!  Especially Emily!  Not that you don't look amazing ALL The time Em!  :)
All the single ladies, All the single ladies!  Oh wait.....I'm married...... Some of the single ladies!  Some of the single ladies!  oh oh ohhhhh oh oh ohhhhhhh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh!

Don't worry friends, this isn't goodbye!  You can't keep me from finding you!  Even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees on a dirty bar floor in Krabi!  creepy! 



Great costume, Erin! 



I heart Erin!

I love the Be-aaaatch!



1 comment:

  1. "Wai" you'll miss Thailand. Oh, so good! I'm tainted now. Love you guys lots and we'll see you in April!

    ReplyDelete