Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Volleyban

Sometimes in Bangkok, it is easy to get into a rut of doing the same old thing.  The biggest reason behind this is the lack of information that is published in English.  Finding new and fun things to do can be a real challenge at times which is why its important to jump at the opportunities we get.

Last Saturday, our friends Rachel and Ryan informed us that the Volleyball World Grand Prix was happening in Bangkok.  Trying to heed the advice of Mr. John Keating, we decided to seize the day and join the Kirchner's for some volleyban action! (In Thailand, "L's" become "N's": volleyball=volleyban; softball=softban).



OK, I promise that I will not write a play by play of a volleyball match, but I will give you my personal highlight.  When the U.S. Team came out to a thunderous applause of four people (us) I noticed something that sent my heart aflutter.  Right now, you might be asking yourself, "What could possibly send Isaac's heart aflut...Ohhhhh, it must be something about Texas A&M."  Well guess what, you are correct!

As soon as the warm-ups came off and I saw the name on the back of the jerseys I saw "Sykora" and immediately turned to Becky and said, "I know #5, thats Stacy Sykora.  She's and Aggie!" I was of course excited and shared this with a slightly creeped out Rachel and Ryan.  I quickly turned into/stayed overeager Aggie man and yelled "Gig 'em".  Unfortunately, Stacy couldn't hear us from way up in the cheap seats (actually, it was free, so they were all cheap).
Team USA on the left. Sykora in white (libero).

Needless, to say, they volleyball match was enthralling.  To fully appreciate how exciting it was, I included a hidden video of Becky during one of the points.  I assure, this was about the most calm she was the entire match.  Now you know what it is like when we watch a Michigan football game on TV...only less happiness.




She seriously did not know I was filming.  I was trying to capture her essence.  Sorry about the sideways view.

At the end of the match, a dominating U.S. victory in three straight sets, we went down closer to the court to say Howdy to Aggie Legend Stacy Sykora.  We shouted a "Gig 'em Stacy" and she gave a wave and Gig 'em back.

I love Texas A&M.

No comments:

Post a Comment