Friday, March 12, 2010

Get your hands off my mangoes!

The picture above shows a lone mango in a tree. There are actually two mangoes, as you can see in the picture below, taken from the second floor of our house.
You might be wondering why there are so few mangoes on that tree. The reason is that there is thievery in our neighborhood. Becky has thrice seen women with the most jimmy-rigged devices you have ever seen trying to get to our mangoes! The first time it happened, she said, "I saw Lek (our neighbor) in our yard with some other lady when I got home. I think they were getting mangoes from our tree."

Now, full disclosure here, I didn't even know we had a mango tree. I mean, I knew there was a tree, I just didn't know it produced mangos.

Back to the story. I asked Becky what she said to them. And do you know what my brave little buttercup said...Nothing. Absolutely Nothing. Thats right, for all the ways that Becky and I are the same person, we are different in so many other ways. One of those ways is confrontation, which I, quite frankly, find delightful and relaxing.

The second time Becky was at home alone again and some women were climbing on our wall/fence to get to the fruit. This time Becky got bold...and went upstairs so the 5'0" Thai woman couldn't see her in the house. Wouldn't want to disturb the woman stealing our mangoes!

Finally, the third time we were both home and Becky alerted me to the situation. I snapped into action and told Becky to get my camera. Alas, as soon as I walked outside, the woman decided she didn't need any mangoes and left. Its a shame becuase I have been working on my Thai. I was going to tell her every Thai word I know: left, right, stop here, strait ahead, thank you, no thank you, and of course "will you be my girlfriend" - taught to me by my 8th grade students.

Heres the point. If you want to protect your mangoes, don't expect your wife to do it for you!


In other news, the mullet is gone. This is one case where I really wish I would have trusted Becky with my mango/head. I decided that I could shave my head myself, which I have done in the past. This time things started off well. I went all the way around with a #2 guard on the clippers. I took off the guard for a second to clean it and accidentally put it back on backwards with the #1 guard now attached to the blade. Ooops. Becky and I had a laugh and both decided that it was a pretty classic accident that happens to everyone when they shave their head. Har Har.

Then this. After I had almost finished on the #1 guard level, I decided that the blades needed some oil added. So I added oil. Then I immediately put the blade back to my head. Yes, there is one important step missing. I didn't put any guard back on. So that means I have a "0" level hair-cut which is baciscally bald. There was actually a conversation between Beck and I about weather I could just leave the patch right in front of my head or shave it. I had to shave it.

At this point, five days later, it looks respectable again.

Here is the damage below.

Me recreating the look on my face immediately after the first swipe.
PS - Check out the cat planning her escape in the background.

1 comment:

  1. Um actually the second mango thievery was done by MEN!....ok teenagers.... So I'm not THAT wimpy! I ran upstairs so the 5 ft tall Thai teenage boys wouldn't see me. And you tell me you wouldn't do the same!

    -B

    ReplyDelete