Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Time for something New (Delhi)

Hey there blog readers.  Can we be serious for a moment?  This won't take long.

Becky and I spent last Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday at a job fair here in Bangkok.  This was the second international teaching fair for both of us, but this time we came equipped with a special weapon: experience.  These fairs are generally gut-wrenching interview after gut-wrenching interview.  I think they are kind of fun, although Becky would disagree with me on that.  What is certain is that there is plenty of stress and decision making involved.

So even though I love suspense, I will lead you on no further.  Becky and I feel really blessed to be heading to what we think is one of the best schools in the world.  We are moving to New Delhi, India to work at the American Embassy School.  We are looking forward to working long hours, being challenged all the time and generally seeing a ton of professional growth.  Should be a good time.  We are looking forward to finishing strong here in Thailand.

I wish this was my drawing...its from dawpa2000's  flickr photostream.

Whew!  Glad that is over.  I had to be serious for almost two straight days.  What I really want to talk about here is what I think when I hear the word 'India'.

I can't help but think of the backwards Seinfeld episode.  In the episode, the cast all go to India for a wedding, but they don't really want to go.  Elaine only goes because she thinks the bride doesn't want her there.  To test if this is true, she goes to see the parents of the bride.  When she finds out that the parents discourage her to go, she of course then books the tickets, because that's the type of person Elaine is.

(Notice: "ONE HOUR EARLIER" Elaine is at Pinter's parents house)

ELAINE: Hi. Mr. and Mrs. Ranawat?

ZUBIN: Please, call us Usha and Zubin.

ELAINE: Oh. Well, Usha..

ZUBIN: I'm Zubin.

ELAINE: (Shrugging it off) Anyway, your son is marrying my friend, Sue Ellen Mischke..

USHA: You're not going to the wedding, are you?

ELAINE: Well..

USHA: Don't go. India is a dreadful, dreadful place.

ZUBIN: You know, it's the only country that still has the plague? I mean, the plague! Please!

USHA: Here's the registry. Send her a gift, and be glad you did not have to go.

ELAINE: (Soaking it in) Right. Don't go. Send a gift. I think I understand.

ZUBIN: If I had to go to India, I wouldn't go to the bathroom the entire trip.

ELAINE: (Leaving) That's fantastic.

ZUBIN: And I'm not so crazy about Manhattan, either.

(Scene ends)


My favorite part: The bit about the plague.  I am pretty sure that India is going to rock our world! Should be an adventure, and who doesn't love an adventure?

Citation: This script comes from www.seinfeldscripts.com


Edit: Becky will be teaching High School IB History (exact position yet to be determined) and I will be teaching 7th grade MYP Humanities (geography).

5 comments:

  1. congrats on the new jobs! very cool! What are your positions going to be at the school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bonnie. Our news is almost as cool as your news! I added it to the end of the blog, but Becky is going to get IB training in HS social studies and I am going to teach MYP Humanities again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So - Becky is going to be "alpha" teacher, positioned at the apex of Secondary Education? Sweet. And Isaac, digging up his MYP stuff, and well...
    ... Certainly an adventure ahead

    ReplyDelete
  4. iBeck! This is so exciting. It was super fun being there at the job fair with you guys, even though we were stressing most of the time. Can't wait for our new adventures. Please keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, guys! And I love that episode! Elaine actually didn't go to the bathroom the whole trip, right?! Maybe you should try that, Isaac!

    ReplyDelete