Saturday, August 22, 2009

Toto, we're not in Seoul anymore.

OK, first, let me just apologize for the stream of conscience that was Becky's last post. As a English teacher (first time this year), I will work with her on the important writing trait of organization, and then we will begin to work on presentation.

We are through two weeks of school and are beginning to get into a groove. We had a parent teacher day this morning (Saturday) which was mostly good. We had a chance to get some work done between meeting with the parents.

The people in Bangkok are really different from the people in Korea. Expats, that is. Let me share a fun story that might further illustrate this point.

At dinner the Friday before school began, Becky and I went out to eat with some friends. One of the couple there had their daughter with them, grade 7. This is important because she was there while one of the guys was making sure everyone knew to come back on Saturday because "we gonna play 'get f**k*d'". As this guy was leaving, he once again was reminding the 7th grade girls mom and her boyfriend to come Saturday to play "get f'd".

Now the best part. Immediately following the invitation, the girl says, "Ooooooh! I just found out...you are my VALUES teacher!" Yes, that's right. Now, you might be thinking one would realize the contradiction here but... he says, "Awesome, I hope you are ready for the amazing experience that is my class." And that, you just cannot make up.

Follow up. This last weekend we were at a BBQ at a friends house and the values teacher and the girl were both there. Again, some language was flowing and this time the girl says, "Hey, your my values teacher, you can't talk like that." So, finally realizing the error of his ways, he responds, "I'm not your teacher right now."

The lesson here kids is that values just don't apply outside of the classroom. Also, you could take away that people have different sets of values and what one deems as acceptable might not be so for someone else. What do I take...irony.

Changing gears.

Marital Bliss - How Isaac's life is different now.

Instead of eating popcorn or ramen or a frozen soft pretzel for dinner, I now eat delicious homemade food courtesy of my beautiful wife. Tonight, county chicken, which is yellow curr(e)y, vegetables, raisins, peanuts and overall deliciousness. Sadly, I am still skinny, sorry Mom.

Coming soon. Honeymoon pictures (PG rated). This Old House (our new home).

Now leave a comment so we are encouraged to write more often. Feedback is key to encouragement.

Love Becky and Isaac

5 comments:

  1. Haha. I don't know. Didn't go. But honestly, I think you would have way more experience with that than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any word on who is the 'er and who is the 'ee? This sounds like a game I'd want to read up on before engaging. Cultural differences aside and allowing for linguistic diversity and minor disagreements about the appropriateness of certain Americanisms, sounds like you guys are doing well. Hope to talk to you when you're in the states next month. All our love.
    Tom and Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish the Thai's would stop stealing all of my games! I was going to market that one to Toys'R'Us. Dang! Sorry you probably know someone by that name. Dammit! That one should be safe.

    Good to hear/see/read that you guys are doing well. We miss you and love you both. Look for my blog sometime soon. I'm trying to decide between making it center around golf or the art of donkey punching. I haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello happily married couple!
    So good to see/read that you are both happy and doing well in Thailand. I must say, Isaac, Im loving how you describe things.. it's very Isaac. Keep them coming for I love reading about how you guys are doing!! I love the 'no pants the room' comment. :) Take care!! Cath B

    ReplyDelete